Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I thought this posting by VM was so interesting. I guess most people would call her nosey. And I guess she is. But what's politely walking by when you see someone destroying something that's probably really important to him compared to being considered meddlesome, perhaps, but saving someone's marriage?

What do you think?

Honesty and Success in Marriage


A few years ago I was flying out of Las Vegas on a business trip. Standing on line waiting to board the plane I heard a guy talking to he secretary over his cell phone. He was describing how he and his buddy called in sick that day and flew to Las Vegas to have some fun. He stood up his client, telling him he had a flat tire (the guy was an insurance salesman, I think), and he blew $1000 bucks gambling. He was telling his secretary what to say if his wife called and asked where he'd been.

My "crystal ball" told me that a year or two down the line there would be no wife. Because living like this with this level of dishonesty will destroy a relationship.

So being a Scientology Volunteer Minister, I decided to do something about this, and I told him I'd overheard what he said. I asked him if his marriage was important to him -- did he want to stay married or didn't it matter to him. He was surprised that I'd ask him this, but he told me that yes, he really loved his wife.

I shared with him my experience patching up wrecked marriages that started on the downward road with just this kind of "minor" (to him) dishonesty.

I don't know if he took my advice or got his act together. I hope he did. I think there are far too many broken homes that could easily be handled with a bit of Scientology technology.

The chapter on "Marriage" in the Scientology handbook is well worth reading. An excerpt from this is online the Scientology handbook site.

David Miscavige
, Chairman of the Board of Religious Technology Center refers to the messes we make of our lives in a speech her gave a couple of years that is referred to as "This is Scientology." Mr. Miscavige calls this a "Code Orange."

Mr. Miscavige says, "What about the terror alerts that are a part of everyday existence? The upsets at home that are so common it’s considered part of the daily grind called life? That’s a Code Orange taking place in millions of households every day. Or what about raising a child today? If it’s not the drugs, then it’s the all too common worry that they’ll actually get an education. That’s the real terror alert and it’s at Code Red."

Scientology churches, like the Church of Scientology of New York or the Church of Scientology of San Francisco (or any other church, really) are open seven days a week and are there to help the community with just this kind of problem (or anything else a person may need help sorting out). If you need help, take advantage of the offer.

No comments: